Family adventures: Punta Cana with children
Punta Cana is the perfect destination to visit with children. From its amazing beaches to the various excursions that will take you to some of the Dominican Republic’s most beautiful and fun spots, and including all the activities offered by the area’s hotels, this destination is heaven on Earth for the youngest members of the family.
Sons and daughters, nephews and nieces, godchildren, little friends… it doesn’t matter whether they’re still babies or young adults, plan a vacation in Punta Cana, and have a great family adventure. All children love the beach, and in Punta Cana you will find some of the finest beaches in the world. What’s more, the hotels that will welcome you in this wonderful destination here in the Dominican Republic have already done the hard work for you, and offer every service and activity that your children need to enjoy their vacation to the full — while you do the same!
And if all this doesn’t seem enough, from Punta Cana you can go on any number of excursions that will drive your children — and you, of course — wild with excitement. Take the kids to explore the amazing unspoilt islands as if they were real Pirates of the Caribbean. Let them expend their excess energy in any one of the fun theme parks. They can also swim with dolphins or go snorkelling on a magnificent coral reef — or discover the charming Dominican countryside in an awesome 4×4 truck.
Advice on travelling to Punta Cana with children
We don’t need to remind you that travelling with children requires careful planning and particularly that you should have everything in place to prevent mishaps. So, plan your Punta Cana trip well, and enjoy a fantastic vacation.
- Always have your papers in order – Most visitors to the Dominican Republic (including children) will need a valid passport and a Tourist Card ($10 US); the latter is usually included in your flight ticket. Certain nationalities also need to apply for a visa. You can find more information on this here.
- Take care – The Dominican Republic is a tropical country and therefore you need to take care with the sun, especially where young children’s delicate skin is concerned. Mosquitoes can be a problem for the unwary. In addition, don’t forget that you’ll be going to the beach, and although the waters around Punta Cana are generally ultra calm, you always need to keep an eye on young swimmers. The same also applies in the swimming pool, of course. One more thing to bear in mind is that in the Dominican Republic the tap water is not suitable for drinking, so you always need to have bottled water. This is particularly important, as our precious little ones need to be kept well hydrated. Remember that they lose a lot of fluids in the sun and the heat.
- Don’t forget – For the sun: a sun-block you know you can trust, a good hat and everything you consider necessary to avoid your children getting sunstroke. And remember to pack some mosquito repellent. Despite the heat, take a sweater or a light jacket. If you leave your hotel early in the day to go on an excursion, or you travel to the higher regions inland, it can get chilly.
And if your child needs some special medication, it’s always better to bring some from home — just in case you can’t find it at your destination. In addition, travelling with international medical insurance can save you a great many problems in the event of any mishap — fingers crossed, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Hotels for children, your “operations base”
On this unforgettable vacation with your children, perhaps the most important thing is to have a good “operations base”. Select the most suitable hotel, so that adults and children alike enjoy their vacation to the full.
For example, the Barceló Bávaro Palace is one of the very best hotels in Punta Cana for anyone travelling with children. Apart from its wide range of accommodation options, including comfortable family rooms with two separate bedrooms, as well as spacious junior suites, this amazing All-Inclusive resort boasts several pools and one of the finest beaches in the Caribbean, Playa Bávaro. And the hotel’s aquatic activities center offers you the chance to try all kinds of water sports, motorized and non-motorized, from the hotel’s own beach. But that’s not all: within the Barceló Bávaro Palace complex you also have:
- Tennis and paddle tennis courts, beach volleyball, table tennis tables…
- A fun, 18-hole minigolf course.
- A Bowling Center with 4 pitches, and gaming machines.
- An incredible Escape Room with 2 sections.
- Barcy’s water park, which is exclusively for young children with castles, slides and waterfalls in the pool.
- The Pirates Island Water Park, where you can have fantastic fun in a pool with waves and slides, perfect for all the family.
- The Mini Club, a fun-filled children’s play area (ages 3 – 12; open from 9.00 am until midnight)
- The Xone disco, for teenagers aged 13 – 17, with non-alcoholic drinks and the very best music.
The Occidental Caribe also offers you the best options for a perfect vacation with your children, including an amazing climbing wall and a trapeze area (for children aged 4 and above), as well as the Flip Club children’s play facility, the Barcy Club (for children aged between 4 and 12 years), the Flip Water Park for children, and much more. Then there’s the Occidental Punta Cana, which has a great daytime and evening entertainment program. The hotel’s team of experts organizes all kinds of interactive and artistic activities, and guarantees that the Mini Club offers children maximum enjoyment all day long. As the sun sets, let your children have the time of their lives in the mini disco, or they can enjoy an entertaining show in the theatre. Experiences for all the family — to ensure that your vacation surpasses even your highest expectations.
The best beaches for families
A trip to Punta Cana gives you the opportunity to enjoy some of the Caribbean’s finest beaches. White sand, turquoise-blue waters, tall, slender palm trees… All in all, a superb picture postcard scene. But these fabulous beaches are also a fun playground for the whole family. Making sandcastles, playing among the waves, taking part in a game of volleyball… Enjoy a day you’ll remember forever!
The entire Bávaro area is, to put it simply, Punta Cana’s great beach. Here you can enjoy several kilometers of continuous, dazzling white sand and calm waters. This superb coastal strip begins on Playa Bávaro — acknowledged as one of the finest beaches in the world — and leads on to Playa Los Corales, Playa El Cortecito, Playa de Arena Blanca and Playa de Arena Gorda. Officially approved beaches which guarantee the best conditions, ideal for all kinds of activities, pleasant strolls, and simply enjoying life with your kids.
In the south, you really shouldn’t miss places like Playa Juanillo and Playa Blanca, two of Punta Cana’s loveliest beaches. And if you’d like just a little more excitement, visit Playa Macao (an almost virgin beach in the north of this wonderful Dominican paradise) and sign up for a fun course learning to surf as a family.
Excursions with children. Here’s to adventure!
While it is true that at your hotel you’ll have practically everything you and your children need for a magical vacation, don’t miss the chance of a terrific excursion. In Punta Cana itself (or indeed in the rest of the Dominican Republic), you can enjoy truly incredible experiences.
We’re in the Caribbean, after all, so a sailing trip on its crystal-clear waters is almost compulsory, and children will love the feeling of being the captain of the ship, even if it’s only for a few hours. Take the whole family for a fun-filled trip in a Catamaran along Punta Cana’s gorgeous coastline. You’ll have the chance to go swimming in a beautiful, shallow, natural “swimming pool”, among other activities.
Have the time of your lives
In Punta Cana itself, as well as on its outskirts, you’ll find theme parks of all kinds. Enjoy a thrilling day whizzing along the exciting zip lines at Bávaro Adventure Park. Explore the glorious Dominican countryside on a pleasant horse-ride at La Hacienda. Go swimming in a magical sinkhole at El Hoyo Azul . Interact with the friendly squirrel monkeys in an exclusive, natural setting at Monkey Land. And swim with dolphins in a floating structure on the sea at Dolphin Island, a favourite activity with boys and girls of all ages.
Today we’re pirates
Explore genuinely unspoilt islands, with amazing beaches edged with tall palm trees — your kids will feel like they’re real pirates of the Caribbean. You could visit Isla Saona, a true Caribbean paradise which belongs to the Cotubanamá National Park, or Isla Catalina, off the coast of La Romana, a fantastic spot where you can try all kinds of water-based activities — or of course, just enjoy the superb beaches.