Canarian Reservoirs and Dams: an excursion through central Gran Canaria
Excursion departure time: 9.00 am Approximate duration: 8 hours and 30 minutes.
English, German, Spanish
Excursion runs on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Custom experience (minimal group: 1 personas)
- Not suitable for people with reduced mobility
- Recommended for: Couples, Groups, Solo travellers
An excursion to explore the contrasts of this mini continent.
Our first stop will be in Telde, a town which was home to the landowners who (following the Conquest of South America) made their fortune from sugar cane. Next, we will stop off at the edge of one of the island’s small volcanoes, Caldera de los Marteles, which reaches a height of 1,500 metres. We will then make our way to the Pico de las Nieves, Gran Canaria’s highest point, from which you can get an awesome view of this tiny continent. You will see the Roque Nublo and the Bentayga volcanic rock formations, and the Tejeda crater. On a clear day, you can even see as far as Tenerife. We will descend through an almond-growing area, where we will see the island’s third largest reservoir. We will have lunch inside Tirajana, the island’s second-largest volcano. And while we are at the restaurant, we will see a demonstration of how Canary Island mojo sauce is made. The last stage of our tour will take us across the spectacular Fataga ravine, to visit a pretty village with traditional houses. Our final stop will be at a height of almost 500 metres, to see the Maspalomas Dunes and the “Gran Canaria Grand Canyon”. Return.
What is included?
- All transfers.
- Visits to: Telde, San Juan Bautista church, San Juan park, free time.
- Visit to the Caldera de los Marteles, with its panoramic views.
- Drive through the Pico de la Nieves: weather permitting, we will get a view of Tenerife’s Teide volcano.
- Visit to Fataga: Valle de las Mil Palmeras [Valley of a Thousand Palm Trees], the old washeries, free time.
- Drive through Degollada de la Yegua: Gran Canaria’s own mini Grand Canyon, with views of the island’s southern beaches and of the Maspalomas Dunes.
- A live demonstration of the preparation of Canary Island’s mojo and pella de gofio [roasted maize cakes].
- Bring a camera and wear comfortable clothing and footwear.
- Adult (age 12 and over) including pick-up in Gran Canaria South and Las Palmas: €50.00
- Children (4-11 years) including pick-up in Gran Canaria South and Las Palmas: €28.00