Visit to the Marismas del Odiel, Huelva's bird paradise
|Languages||Spanish - English|
|Number of participants||Minimum 1 person - Maximum 18 people|
What the experience includes
In the south of Spain, near the Doñana National Park, is the Marismas del Odiel Biosphere Reserve where bird lovers can enjoy unforgettable moments. A mid-morning excursion to the second largest wetland in Huelva allows you to observe a large number of sedentary, wintering, summer or passing birds. Visiting one of the most important tidal marshes in Western Europe, known as the “Kingdom of Tides” can be a dream come true to spot waders, seabirds and other aquatic birds.
But not only do you enjoy the sighting of so many types of birds, but the guided tour provides the necessary context of this incredible natural space. Through the road that connects part of the islands in the Odiel Marshes, you reach the Anastasio Senra Visitor Center and then continue south to also appreciate the uniqueness of this place.
You should know that to move to the restricted area you need a special authorization issued by the Office of the Natural Park, a type of permit that a priori cannot be secured.
Although you can see hundreds of birds, some that you can identify among the sedentary ones are the osprey, the great egret, the common flamingo, the beaked or yellow-legged gulls and the common stork. Among the wintering species are the Atlantic gannet, the black-patined tern, the curlew sandpiper and the whistle duck. Some of the summer ones attract attention, such as the ashen harrier, the imperial heron and the European bee-eater.
Without a doubt, this excursion to the bird paradise is ideal all year round from Huelva, Seville (just one hour) or even from Portugal (45 minutes).
Everything you need to know
• Minimum 4 people.
• Guided tours can be requested in Catalan, French or Portuguese.
• Departures: all year round. It is recommended to do it in winter in the morning and in summer in the afternoon.
• 9-seater vans are used for groups of up to 8 people. For larger groups, tours can be done on small buses.
• Guided tour and transport with or without pick-up, depending on the option chosen.
• The pick-up option includes hotels or meeting points throughout the province of Huelva. Depending on the distance, a fuel supplement may be added.