For music lovers, it doesn’t get any better than this. Offering three nights of the world’s greatest jazz, pop and international performers in an incomparable Playa del Carmen setting, the Riviera Maya Jazz Festival returns Nov. 30-Dec. 2, 2018. One of the best Playa del Carmen concerts and one of the best jazz fests in Mexico, it takes place annually on Mamitas Beach, it’s one of the region’s most unforgettable experiences – and the nearby Barceló Maya Grand Resort provides you with the perfect home base for your jazz fest adventure, with easy access to the music and all-inclusive luxury.
The Riviera Maya Jazz Festival began in 2003 and quickly became a favorite for attendees and performers alike – previous headliners have included such greats as Herbie Hancock, Sergio Mendez, Earth, Wind and Fire and many more. The best part? You don’t have to buy tickets. This Playa del Carmen jazz festival is absolutely free! In 2018, the event looks to be better than ever. Here’s what to look forward to and what to know.
Riviera Maya Jazz Festival Fast Facts
Riviera Maya Jazz Festival 2018 dates: Friday, Nov. 30 – Sunday, Nov. 2
Riviera Maya Jazz Festival 2018 location: Mamitas Beach Club, Playa del Carmen (view map)
Riviera Maya Jazz Festival 2018 Lineup Highlights
- Bebel Gilberto (Nov. 30) – Bebel Gilberto is descended from Brazilian music royalty – She is the daughter of legendary performers João Gilberto and singer Miúcha. But Bebel has brought a classic sound into the 21st century, with an electronica-inflected bossa nova style that will go perfectly with a tropical night on the Riviera Maya.
- Norah Jones (Dec. 1) – She scored a major hit in the early 2000s with “Come Away With Me,” but there’s much more to Norah Jones. Her smoky vocals and dazzling piano work have made her a consistent onstage attraction, while her collaborations with such diverse artists as Willie Nelson, Outkast, Herbie Hancock, and Foo Fighters have showcased her restless musical spirit.
- Bobby McFerrin (Dec. 2) – A 10-time Grammy winner, Bobby McFerrin is one of the music world’s most creative and unique talents. Via his a cappella hit “Don’t Worry, Be Happy,” his collaborations with Yo-Yo Ma, Chick Corea and the Vienna Philharmonic, his improvising choir Voicestra, and his legendary solo vocal performances, Bobby will bring copious good vibes to the Riviera Maya – guaranteed.
Riviera Maya Jazz Festival Tips
- Get there early for the best spots near the stage – this is a general admission event.
- Stay hydrated! It may be late fall, but Riviera Maya days are sunny.
- Nightly events last 4-5 hours, so bring along beach chairs or blankets so you can kick back on the beach.
- Hungry? No problem. Restaurants in Playa del Carmen stay open later than usual during the Riviera Maya Jazz Festival.