Wellness travel in Riviera Maya
Wellness travel is one of the hottest trends in tourism, with travelers seeking out destinations that go beyond the ordinary.
Wellness travel is one of the hottest trends in tourism, with travelers seeking out destinations that go beyond the ordinary. And there’s no better place to get in on the trend yourself than in Mexico’s Riviera Maya. Thanks to spas, fitness centers, outdoor adventures and unique wellness experiences, you’ll be able to refresh your body, mind and soul during your vacation at Barceló Maya Grand Resort, home to the brand-new, adults only Barceló Maya Riviera.
Try Temazcal, an age-old wellness travel experience
Have you heard of Temazcal? It’s a (literally) hot wellness trend in the 21st century. But it actually has its roots in the indigenous traditions and rituals of pre-Hispanic Mexico. Temazcal (the word means “house of steam”) is a type of steam bath / sweat lodge that aids in ridding the body of toxins through the use of medicinal and aromatic herbs. You have to try it to believe it! One place you can experience this ultimate Riviera Maya wellness travel activity at Xcaret Eco-Park, which is an amazing attraction not far from your resort. Your Temazcal journey may last up to an hour – and you’ll leave feeling like a new person!
Indulge in a restorative spa treatment
Get ready for pure rejuvenation. The 32,000-square-foot U-Spa Wellness & Fitness Center (located in the Barceló Maya Grand Resort complex) is a state-of-the-art wellness destination. Indulge in two sauna and steam rooms. Restore in the tropical and bi-thermal showers. Find your inner peace in an immersion pool. And treat yourself to one (or two!) of the many massages, facials and other wellness treatments on the menu.
- One of the most popular treatments offered at the U-Spa is the Hot Stone Massage. This 50-minute experience is designed to ease tense muscles and restore damaged soft tissues throughout your body. Soft, natural stones (usually made of basalt, a type of volcanic rock that retains heat) are heated and combined with therapeutic essential oils that eliminate tension and provide maximum relaxation for the body, mind and soul.
- Enjoy a chocolate body wrap – a full body, chocolate-mint exfoliation that will get rid of dead skin cells and leave your skin completely hydrated.
- Follow up your sunbathing with an after-sun body wrap, a cold treatment that moisturizes your skin and gives immediate relief.
- Wellness Travel in Riviera Maya isn’t just for adults. The U-Spa offers an array of spa treatments just for kids. Choose either the one-hour Princess U Kids Spa Package ($70) or two-hour Queen Barceló Maya Package ($90), including a hairstyle, makeup, manicure and pedicure.
Experience yoga on the beach
Whether you are an experienced yogi or a newcomer to this ancient practice, yoga on a Riviera Maya beach is an unforgettable experience. Classes at Barceló Maya Grand Resort usually take place in the morning (ask your concierge for a schedule of yoga events during your stay), taking advantage of the gentle breezes and unparalleled ocean views. Wondering whether yoga is for you? Well, here are just a few of the many benefits.
- Regular, well-balanced yoga practice will improve flexibility and build muscle strength.
- Yoga will vastly improve your posture – bad posture leads to back, neck, and other muscle and joint pain.
- It’s great for your bones, helping to battle osteoporosis, and according to some studies, may help keep calcium in the bones.
- Yoga relaxation exercises boost your blood flow, especially in your feet and hands.
- Yoga is believed to be great to keep high blood pressure in check.
Your fitness regimen doesn’t have to go out the window when you go on vacation in Riviera Maya. Barceló Maya Grand Resort’s state of the art fitness center offers an array of calorie-burning classes, the latest body-shaping equipment and personal trainers to assist you in keeping svelte. With a design inspired by the four elements, this modern fitness center boasts the most advanced training equipment for warm-ups, cardio-vascular exercises, cooling down, stretching and resistance-training machines. The open and inviting space gives clients the chance to do their own thing, without feeling confined in a relaxed environment. With machines ranging from treadmills to stationary bikes, the gym also has free standing weights and two rooms for spinning and yoga.
Swim in a cenote
Riviera Maya is full of cenotes – more than 1,000 of them, in fact! These natural freshwater swimming pools offer crystal clear waters and an otherworldly ambiance. Cenotes (pronounced say-NO-tays) were thought to be sacred by the Mayan people and swimming in one was said to have healing results. Today, you may discover the same results, as you float in an utterly peaceful atmosphere. If you are staying at the Barceló Maya Grand Resort, you can just cross the highway (look both ways before!) and walk over to Cenote Azul, one of Riviera Maya’s best cenotes. An hour or two spent here will leave you feeling transformed.
Start planning your Riviera Maya wellness travel escape now!