Whether you are an aficionado, or simply curious, Dominican Republic cigars can’t be beat. During your stay at the all inclusive Barceló Bávaro Grand Resort, Occidental Punta Cana or Occidental Caribe, you’ll have the chance to learn all about the best cigars to buy in the Dominican Republic, where to go to discover Dominican cigar culture and all the many different Dominican cigar varieties available. Here’s a quick guide get you started with Dominican Republic cigars.
Dominican Cigar Culture & History
The Dominican Republic is considered the world’s largest cigar producer. But it’s not all about quantity. It’s about quality. Cigar connoisseurs prize Dominican Republic cigars for their distinctive flavor profile, which is simply richer and more pleasing than any other cigars in the world. Why are Dominican Republic cigars so good? One reason Dominican Republic cigars stand out is because of the high quality of tobacco grown on the island. The fertile soil and perfect climate of the country is especially well-suited to growing this crop. This is especially in the lush northcentral Yaque Valley, where the finest tobacco in the Dominican Republic is said to be harvested. Even cigar makers who aren’t based in the DR will often tout the fact that their product is made with Dominican tobacco.
The history of cigars in the Dominican Republic stretches back centuries. The Spanish began growing tobacco all the way back in the 16th century, and it’s been an important part of the country’s economy ever since. The oldest still-running Dominican Republic cigars brand is La Aurora, which got its start in the early 20th century. Today, La Aurora cigars can be purchased in more than 60 countries worldwide. Following political unrest in the 1950s and 1960s in Cuba, the DR emerged as the cigar powerhouse that it is today. Today, both aficionados and newcomers to the scene know that the Dominican Republic is the place to be when it comes to cigars!
The Best Dominican Republic Cigars to Buy
- Fuente Fuente Opus X: Handcrafted with 100 percent pure Dominican tobacco, Fuente Fuente Opus X is one of the top notch Dominican Republic cigars. It’s a rare find, but worth the search, thanks to its perfect blend of potency and flavor.
- Ashton VSG: A long-time favorite and best-selling cigar, Ashton VSG boasts finely aged Dominican tobacco. The cigars are housed in an Ecuador Sumatra wrapper leaf, which delivers a deliciously earthy vibe.
- Macanudo Café: With its mild taste and slightly spicy flavor, Macanudo Café is a good option for those looking to get into the wonderful world of Dominican cigars.
- La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero: A powerfully smokeable Dominican cigar, La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero delivers an ideal cigar experience, with notes of cedar and pepper coming through strong.
- Davidoff: Handmade in the Dominican Republic, Davidoff’s burgeoning portfolio offers a diverse array of premium blends. The brand is known for its distinctly mellow and approachable profile. Each cigar is painstakingly put together, delivering enticing flavors. Connoisseurs will love Davidoff cigars for their rich signature notes of cedar, coffee and nuts, not to mention their smooth and creamy finishes.
Dominican Republic Cigars: Where To Go
- Don Lucas Cigars: This Santo Domingo cigar shop and factory produces 14 different cigar sizes with five different strengths. Each one is kept in humidors to ensure optimal conditions. Want to learn more? A fascinating factory tour will take you behind the scenes!
- Caoba Cigar Factory: Take a charming stroll down Santo Domingo’s Calle el Conde. Here, you’ll discover Caoba’s mini cigar factory and shop (located right above the Hard Rock Café). You’ll witness the entire process of making these incredible handcrafted Dominican cigars. Good to know – the cigars here are duty-free. So, you’ll be able to get some great deals.
- La Leyenda del Cigarro Cigar Shop & Factory: Also located on Calle el Conde, La Leyenda del Cigarro Cigar Shop & Factory is another must-visit for cigar lovers visiting Santo Domingo. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! The staff here is not only incredibly knowledgeable about cigars. They are also extremely friendly. Relax and enjoy some true Dominican Republic hospitality.
- Cigar Club Arturo Fuente: An extremely swanky spot where you can enjoy the finest Dominican cigars – and much more! Cigar Club Arturo Fuente has a full bar, luxurious environs and a fantastic selection of Fuente brand cigars. Sit back, relax, and enjoy pure Dominican cigar bliss.
- Kyoto: Kyoto, located in the Barceló Santo Domingo, offers guests a sophisticated selection of classic Japanese dishes. This modern and elegantly designed restaurant boasts a luxurious environment – it’s perfect for a romantic date night with the one you love. Afterwards, head to the Cigar Lounge to enjoy authentic Dominican cigars.
This information is just the beginning of your adventures with Dominican Republic cigars. You’ll return from the Dominican Republic with deep knowledge and a fun new hobby.