Whether you are an aficionado, or simply curious, Dominican Republic cigars can’t be beat. During your stay at the all inclusive Barceló Bávaro Grand Resort or Occidental Caribe, you’ll have the chance to learn all about the best cigars to buy in the Dominican Republic, Dominican cigar culture and all the different varieties available. Here’s a quick guide get you started with Dominican Republic cigars.
Dominican Cigar Culture & History
The Dominican Republic is considered the world’s largest cigar producer, and connoisseurs prize Dominican Republic cigars for their distinctive flavor profile. One reason Dominican Republic cigars stand out is because of the high quality of tobacco grown on the island. The fertile soil and perfect climate of the country is especially well-suited to growing this crop – especially in the lush north central Yaque Valley. Even cigar makers who aren’t based in the DR will often tout the fact that their product is made with Dominican tobacco. The history of cigars in the Dominican Republic stretches back centuries. The Spanish began growing tobacco all the way back in the 16th century, and it’s been an important part of the country’s economy ever since. Following political unrest in the 1950s and 1960s in Cuba, the DR emerged as the cigar powerhouse that it is today.
The Best Dominican Republic Cigars to Buy
- Fuente Fuente Opus X: Handcrafted with 100 percent pure Dominican tobacco, Fuente Fuente Opus X is one of the top notch Dominican Republic cigars. It’s a rare find, but worth the search, thanks to its perfect blend of potency and flavor.
- Ashton VSG: A long-time favorite and best-selling cigar, Ashton VSG boasts finely aged Dominican tobacco housed in an Ecuador Sumatra wrapper leaf, which delivers a deliciously earthy vibe.
- Macanudo Café: With its mild taste and slightly spicy flavor, Macanudo Café is a good option for those looking to get into the wonderful world of Dominican cigars.
- La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero: A powerfully smokeable Dominican cigar, La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero delivers an ideal cigar experience, with notes of cedar and pepper coming through strong.
Dominican Republic Cigars: Where To Go
- Don Lucas Cigars: This Santo Domingo cigar shop and factory produces 14 different cigar sizes with five different strengths, all kept in our humidors to ensure optimal conditions. A fascinating factory tour will take you behind the scenes!
- Caoba Cigar Factory: Take a stroll down Santo Domingo’s Calle el Conde to discover Caoba’s mini cigar factory and shop (located right above the Hard Rock Café). You’ll witness the entire process of making these incredible handcrafted Dominican cigars. Good to know – the cigars here are duty-free, so you’ll be able to get some great deals.
- La Leyenda del Cigarro Cigar Shop & Factory: Also located on Calle el Conde, La Leyenda del Cigarro Cigar Shop & Factory is another must-visit for cigar lovers visiting Santo Domingo. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! The staff here is not only incredibly knowledgeable about cigars, but also extremely friendly.
- Cigar Club Arturo Fuente: A swanky spot! Cigar Club Arturo Fuente has a full bar, luxurious environs and a fantastic selection of Fuente brand cigars to enjoy. Sit back, relax, and enjoy pure Dominican cigar bliss.
This is just the beginning of your adventures with Dominican Republic cigars. You’ll return from the Dominican Republic with deep knowledge and a fun new hobby.