If you’re a thrill-seeker, the Riviera Maya won’t disappoint. From a brand new Riviera Maya amusement park to underwater exploration, excitement is never far away. During your all inclusive vacation at Occidental at Xcaret Destination, Barceló Maya Grand Resort (comprised of Barceló Maya Beach, Barceló Maya Caribe, Barceló Maya Colonial, Barceló Maya Tropical, and the all-suite, AAA Four-Diamond Barceló Maya Palace, not to mention the Barceló Maya Riviera, which will welcome its first guests in December 2019) and Royal Hideaway Playacar, discover the most thrilling things to do in Riviera Maya.
Ventura Fly & Ride Park
Thrill-seekers take note! There’s a brand-new place to get your fix this year. The Ventura Fly & Ride Park, a new Riviera Maya amusement park, opened its doors in early 2019, making Barceló Maya Grand Resort the first and only Riviera Maya hotel with its very own amusement park. And it’s not just any amusement park. Open year-round from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., Ventura Fly & Ride Park (made up of two areas, Ventura Fly and Ventura Ride) offers thrilling attractions and experiences for the whole family.
Ventura Fly is a Riviera Maya amusement park packed with high-altitude excitement.
- Seven airborne ziplines send riders flying above the park’s palm trees
- AQUAZIP, a soaring zipline, ends with a “splash” landing
- Tarzania, a hybrid zipline/roller coaster, suspends riders below a rail that travels 1,247 feet
- The Plane Coaster, a roller coaster that begins from an altitude of almost 100 feet, zooms around the circuit at high speeds, offering stunning views of the Caribbean Sea and the Mayan Jungle
- QuickJump is a unique free fall experience
- Bungee Swing, a giant swing, starts with participants stepping off of an airplane wing from an altitude of almost 35 feet
- Parachute Landing features a controlled free-fall from 35 feet above the ground
- 16-foot-high rope courses challenge you to make it from one side to the other
- Net Land is a closed circuit of bridges and slides, perfect for young explorers.
Meanwhile, Ventura Ride is a Riviera Maya amusement park delivers more down-to-earth (but no less high speed) fun.
- Off Road Polaris Ace Vehicles deliver agility and precision on a challenging closed off-road circuit, allowing both adult and kid drivers to experience the horse power of these machines
- A go kart track built for Formula 1 aficionados features more than 1,200 feet of bends and curves that will get your heart racing.
- Quad Cycle offers pedal power to the max, with 4-wheel vehicles that are a blast to drive around a curvy closed-circuit racetrack
There are virtually endless eco-adventures to be had at Xcaret Eco-Park, a natural attraction for all ages in Riviera Maya. Swim in underground rivers, explore a teeming jungle, and descend into mysterious caves. Walk amidst hundreds of fluttering, colorful creatures in the Butterfly Pavilion, and get up-close-and-personal with deer, jaguar and exotic birds. Want a real thrill at Xcaret, though? Here are a few ideas.
- Have an elevated experience at Xcaret … literally. A parasailing adventure here will send you soaring high above the sea and jungle – 600 feet high to be exact. The views are spectacular, and the adrenaline rush is unparalleled.
- Get ready for some high-speed thrills and climb aboard a motorboat that zooms across the Caribbean Sea at speeds up to 90 kilometers per hour (55 mph), performing dizzying 360° turns. A word of warning, though: you will get wet!
- Xcaret lets you immerse yourself in the world of nurse sharks – gentle giants who only feed on mollusks and other small species. During this unforgettable experience a trainer will always accompany you as you swim in the natural environment of the nurse shark.
The best way to experience Xcaret’s thrills is to plan your vacation at The 24-hour all-inclusive Occidental at Xcaret Destination, located adjacent to the park, and offering a complimentary riverboat (trajinera) that will get you there in style and comfort.
This is one of Riviera Maya’s most unique – and most beautiful – thrills. Cenotes are natural swimming holes, formed when limestone bedrock is eroded by rain and caves in. They’re filled with crystal clear water and surrounded by beautiful rock formations. Riveria Maya is home to countless cenotes – there are thought to be thousands throughout the region. Many of them are open to the public. Swimming in one is one of the greatest thrills an adventurer can have here. Learn more about Riviera Maya cenotes.
One of the most well-known cenotes in all of Mexico is the Gran Cenote. Located not too far from Tulum, this was an important resource (both spiritually and practically) for the Mayans who lived in the area. Today, it’s a perfectly preserved spot, with 140 meters of calm, shallow waters and easily accessible walkways. For underwater adventure seekers, Gran Cenote snorkeling and scuba diving is legendary. The water in the caverns here is so clear that even from the surface you can see down to the bottom, with colorful aquatic life everywhere. Don’t miss your chance to experience this natural attraction in Riviera Maya. You can easily spend several hours here, discovering the wonders of the Riviera Maya’s cenotes.