Eat and drink your way through Riviera Maya
From fine dining to authentic taco joints, find out how to eat and drink your way through Riviera Maya. Discover the best Riviera Maya restaurants.
Beautiful beaches, spectacular scenery, all inclusive delights … the Riviera Maya (home to Barceló Maya Grand Resort, Royal Hideaway Playacar and Occidental at Xcaret Destination), has all of these things. But the destination, a pristine stretch of Caribbean coastline on Mexico’s northeastern Yucatán Peninsula, is also a foodie’s dream come true. From fine dining to street food, from lobster to tacos, here’s your guide for how to eat and drink your way through Riviera Maya. Discover the best Riviera Maya restaurants.
The best tacos in Riviera Maya
Tacos are serious business in Riviera Maya. Here are a few can’t miss taco joints which are some of the best Riviera Maya restaurants.
- La Chiapaneca: Located in downtown Tulum, Antojitos La Chiapaneca is a beloved local joint for many reasons – but the biggest reason is the restaurant’s legendary al pastor tacos (pineapple and pork), the ultimate combo of sweet and savory.
- El Fogon: Ask around and some will swear that you’ll find the best Riviera Maya tacos at El Fogon. Located a few blocks off of the famed La Quinta Avenida (5th Avenue) in Playa del Carmen, it’s a budget friendly option too.
- Taquería Honorio: Taquería Honorio in Tulum may look like an unassuming, no-frills spot at first. But the flavors you’ll encounter here are more than enough. The specialty here is the slow-roasted cochinita pibil, a traditional Mexican slow-roasted pork dish.
Fine dining in Riviera Maya
Looking to have a fancy night out on the town during your Riviera Maya vacation? See below for some essential fine dining experiences.
- Axiote: Located on 34th St. between 5th Avenue and 10th Ave., Axiote is a classy-but-casual restaurant in the gastropub style, with great Mexican fusion cuisine and handcrafted cocktails. Perfect for a Playa del Carmen date night!
- Las Ventanas: One of the best Riviera Maya restaurants, The Chef’s Table at Las Ventanas offers a six- or 12-course gourmet tasting menu and wine pairing designed and presented by Royal Hideaway Playacar’s executive and Michilen Star chef. Served in a stylish private dining room, you’ll interact with the chef and his expert kitchen team, as they provide insight into their entire process. A perfectly romantic date night in Playa del Carmen.
- Alux: For a meal at Alux Restaurant in Playa del Carmen, you’ll descend into a 10,000-year-old cavern (right next to a cenote) to enjoy authentic and innovative Mexican cuisine in an otherworldly setting. Don’t miss the extensive selection of tasty cocktails, including several made with the Mayan liquor Xtbentun.
Fresh seafood in Riviera Maya
The bounty of the Caribbean Sea is taken advantage of in Riviera Maya. Here are a few of the best Riviera Maya restaurants to enjoy fresh seafood.
- Los Hijos de la Tostada: A favorite among locals and visitors alike, Los Hijos de la Tostada is your spot for fresh seafood on 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen. Order the seafood tostada and say hello to culinary bliss.
- El Camello Jr.: A Tulum favorite, El Camello, Jr. is a must-visit on your seafood tour of the Mayan Riviera. The casual restaurant is well-known for its ceviche – that wonderful Latin American dish made fresh with raw fish cured in citrus juices and spiced with ají or chili peppers. Order a cold beer, get a table on the open-air patio and dig into this seafood delicacy.
- Taco Paco: If you’re a seafood fan, don’t miss out on Taco Paco. It’s well-known as one of the best places for fish tacos in Riviera Maya. The fish is fresh, the toppings are totally delicious and the vibe is extremely laid back, with a location that offers a nice patio filled with friendly locals.
Craft beer in Riviera Maya
- Club de la Cerveza: Club de la Cerveza is one of Riviera Maya’s most reliable craft beer hot spots. Here, you’ll find the best Mexican craft beers on tap alongside imported delights from the States, Belgium, Germany and beyond.
- Colectivo Mexicano Cervecero: A new addition to the Playa del Carmen craft beer scene, Colectivo Mexicano Cervecero takes beer seriously. Brew aficionados will feel right at home here – but it’s great for newbies too. The challenge is to decide what to order: Colectivo Mexicano Cervecero usually has upwards of 60 craft beers on tap, plus several barrel-aged options. Take a little time to peruse the offerings …
- Manne’s Biergarten: A German-style beer garden in the heart of Playa del Carmen? Ya! Manne’s Biergarten serves up authentic Bavarian cuisine, including bratwurst, schnitzel and sauerbraten in a fun and festive atmosphere. And of course, the best thing to wash down that tasty food is a big frosted stein of German beer. It’s a perfect Playa del Carmen afternoon.