Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo: an underwater fantasy
Age is but a number when you find yourself standing in front of an immense glass wall that separates you from some of the world’s most beautiful and prodigious underwater fauna. Just as children can’t help but stick their noses against the glass, adults are also taken aback by the sight of immense sharks and enormous stingrays gliding through the water in front of our eyes. This type of visit is suitable for tourists of all ages. You may have visited many zoos or aquariums in the past, but the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo— just like everything else in Dubai— is of enormous dimensions.
Besides marvelling at these underwater wonders, you’ll also be able to enjoy interactive experiences, attend educational workshops on certain species and even go swimming with sharks. The question is, are you brave enough? If you’re not quite daring enough but still want a memorable experience, you’ll be able to participate in various other less daunting activities such as, for example, feeding some of the animals
A visit to the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is an experience that will live long in the memory of any child. Make sure your phone and cameras are fully charged, as you’ll want to take photos of everything you see. Below we will tell you everything that you can expect to find in this incredible attraction.
- Qué podrás encontrar en el Zoo Aquarium de Dubái
- Zonas del Aquarium y especies
- Más atracciones para visitar en familia en Dubái
- Hoteles para familias en Dubái
What will I find in the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo?
As we alluded to above, nothing built in Dubai can be considered ‘normal’. The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is no exception to this rule. Did you know that this underwater zoo extends from the ground floor to the second floor of The Dubai Mall?
Some interesting facts about the attraction are that it has a capacity for ten million litres of water and that it is home to the largest group of sharks in the world (more than three hundred specimens!) By walking through the tunnel, you can observe more than one hundred marine specimens —including various mesmerising stingrays— swimming around your head. You’ll be able to see much more than fish during your visit. As you’ll see below, a huge variety of animals are found in the four different areas.
The Aquarium’s different areas and species
The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is split into several interesting spaces including the aquarium tank, the tunnel and the underwater zoo. You’ll find a description of the different areas below:
- Aquarium tank. The tank measures 51 metres long by 20 metres wide and 11 metres high. Not only can you observe from the outside-in, but you can also walk through a 48-metre-long tunnel that penetrates the tank, offering unbeatable 270-degree views of the inside of the tank. You can also take a trip on a glass-bottomed boat or a dip in the tank (if you’re brave enough!) during the “Shark Encounter” and “Shark Dive” experiences, respectively.
- Aquarium tunnel. Besides walking through the famous tunnel found 11 metres beneath the surface of the water, be sure to stick around to watch divers feed the different sharks and stingrays that live in the tank. You’ll also have the chance to meet a professional trainer who can tell you everything you want to know about these incredible creatures.
- Underwater zoo. Level two of the aquarium houses an incredible underwater zoo comprising various habitats, including the Rainforest, the Rocky Coast and the Ocean. These areas are home to a wide range of animals that you can observe at your own pace, including otters, lionfish, giant spider crabs, seahorses, eels, archerfish, water voles, paddlefish and much more. In the “Rocky Coast” area, you can even reach into the tanks and touch some of their sturdier inhabitants. The species in this area are much more peaceful than those of the “Rainforest”, which is home to piranhas, giant catfish, otters and water voles.
In addition to this deep-sea tour, you can also get up close and personal with species such as Asian otters, crocodiles, penguins, sharks and stingrays at the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo.
More family-friendly attractions in Dubai
If you’re thinking of going on a family holiday to Dubai, you might want to take note of the following places of interest. Without even leaving The Dubai Mall, you’ll be able to find a series of ski slopes; ‘Kidzania’, where children can become adults for a few hours; and the VR Park, which is dedicated to virtual reality.
Away from the Mall, we also recommend going to IMG Worlds of Adventure: an indoor theme park dedicated to characters from the worlds of Marvel and Cartoon Network. Another fun indoor attraction is OliOli, an experimental play museum that is a real explosion of colour. If you want to learn a little more about nature, you could consider visiting The Green Planet: an indoor rainforest with more than three thousand different plant and animal species. Last but not least, if you’re looking to make a splash on your holiday, the Wild Wadi and Aquaventure water parks are also highly recommended.
Family-friendly hotels in Dubai
Dubai boasts an impressive range of accommodation options, including multiple family-friendly hotels. Depending on the age of your children, you might prefer to reserve an apartment instead of a hotel room. One fantastic option is the Barceló Residences Dubai Marina, which has 253 elegant apartments, two outdoor pools and a gymnasium. It is located in the Dubai Marina, where you will find various leisure complexes, shops and restaurants. Another option is the five-star Dukes The Palm, a Royal Hideaway Hotel, which boasts 285 apartments and 279 hotel rooms and suites. It is one of the most exclusive accommodation options in Palm Jumeirah, and even includes a private beach and an enormous infinity pool.
Want more accommodation options for your next family holiday? You could try the four-star Occidental Al Jaddaf hotel, which has 365 hotel rooms and suites and is very well connected with Downtown Dubai. Two further options are the Occidental Dubai Production City, which is located close to the site of the Expo 2020 Dubai, and the four-star Occidental Sharjah Grand, which stands on the beachfront in the city of Sharjah on the outskirts of Dubai.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I see in the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo?
This incredible aquarium and zoo is home to more than 140 marine species. Its aquarium tank, which holds 10 million litres of water, is home to more than 30,000 aquatic creatures. The most impressive ones are the bull sharks and the stingrays.
How much are tickets for the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo?
General admission tickets to the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo start at 199 EAU (around €47), but discounts are often available. The various ‘experiences’ on offer come at an additional cost. Children aged 14 and under must be accompanied by a person aged 15 or older.
Where is the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo?
The Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo is located in the Dubai Mall, which is one of the world’s largest shopping centres. Not only is it home to a wide range of shops, but there are also various restaurants and entertainment offerings.