Huesca’s best restaurants: something for everyone
When talking about the best restaurants in Huesca, it’s important to note that local residents of the capital and province are highly sociable and lovers of good food. This explains the quantity, quality and diversity of restaurants that you’ll find in most of its main towns.
People here love long meals around a beautifully set table as well as casual tapas standing at a bar surrounded by friends, family or both. The big attraction is always uniting the pleasure of eating with being sociable. That’s why restaurants in Huesca are almost always full, so it’s a good idea to book a table before going out to eat.
Below is a selection of some of Huesca’s best restaurants, places that are well-regarded by locals as well as culinary experts, and social network and internet users.
Of course, don’t forget to follow the recommendations of staff at your accommodation or a trustworthy local with a love of food – something that is never too hard to find.
A great option for eating in Boltaña
Hotel Barceló Monasterio de Boltaña has one of the finest menus in Huesca and is also one of the best places to stay in Huesca province. Other great restaurants include:
Barceló Monasterio de Boltaña
- Instalado en el Monasterio de Boltaña
- Exclusivas villas y habitaciones con encanto
- Centro Wellness y piscina exterior
- Cycling centre
- Marbore: at this à la carte restaurant you can sample Huesca’s typical dishes (link to corresponding URL) but the menu also has room for creative, modern cooking with some lovely surprises.
- Somontano: a great spot for breakfast, it has a buffet with local produce and classic dishes for the first meal of the day.
- El Rincón: the perfect place for a mid-morning or afternoon coffee.
- Swimming pool bar: open when the weather is fine, it has aperitifs, snacks and a wide range of soft drinks.
Other popular restaurants in Huesca province
It isn’t easy to choose a selection of the best restaurants in Huesca province, particularly when you bear in mind that local residents are huge fans of good food. The list below includes some of the most popular and highly regarded spots by locals and visitors:
- Vidocq (Edificio Jacetania, Formigal, Salent de Gállego): right in Formigal ski resort it impresses with the quality of its food and loving use of produce; it also has surprising fusions. Dishes are prepared by chef Diego Herrero and his team. The wine list is a particular highlight and wines are selected by Amaya Sarasa, who is also the maître d’.
- Callizo (Plaza Mayor, s/n, Aínsa): the wonderful views through the windows of this restaurant are just the beginning to all-engaging and highly satisfying sensory experience. Its managers describe it as techno-emotional mountain cooking and when you try the dishes, you’ll understand why.
- es (Valle de Cinca, 35, Monzón): traditional Spanish cooking (not just Aragonese) with a focus on wood-fired grilling and red meat. It’s also one of the best restaurants in Huesca for coeliacs and their companions.
- Casa Pardina (Medio, 13, Alquézar): the classic decoration of this restaurant doesn’t disappoint and its large windows and terrace let you appreciate the light and beauty of the area. Here you can try Huesca’s best typical dishes with generous portions and some modern interpretations.
The best restaurants in Huesca city
Huesca city, the provincial capital, has numerous attractive monuments and a wide range of different foods with restaurants that have something for every taste and budget.
Naturally, most feature local flavours and dishes but there are always some delicious exceptions. Here are some of the city’s best restaurants:
- La Goyosa (San Lorenzo, 4): a small dining room with a subtly and attractively decorated interior. It’s the perfect setting to show off the fusion and creative cooking dishes that are served here. It has daring combinations of flavours and a loyal clientele of local residents.
- Las Torres (María Auxiliadora, 3): the three Abadía brothers, with Fernando in the kitchen, have succeeded in creating a beautiful and harmonious space for enjoying food. There is a wide range of dishes and each of the five senses plays a key role. The result is an haute cuisine menu that matches the family’s ambitions.
- Taberna El Fhosko (Pedro IV, 17): a mecca for lovers of good meat. The stars of the menu are fine cuts of grilled meat but the menu actually goes beyond that and also includes high quality seafood and fish dishes with an emphasis on seasonal products.
- Cook Fiction (Ramiro el Monje, 20): Huesca is a great place for eating tapas and this restaurant has a large, creative and high-quality menu. Specialities include octopus with cucumber and kimchi, longaniza sausage gyoza, steak tartar and lobster roll, a US-style sandwich with lobster meat.
Michelin stars in Huesca
At present Huesca has two restaurants that have been awarded prestigious Michelin stars and both are in the province’s capital:
- Lillas Pastia (Plaza Navarra, 4): specialises in black truffle, one of the great gourmet foods of Huesca province. This restaurant knows how to use this wonderful product generously and wisely. Head chef is Carmelo Bosque who is highly creative and has an eye on fresh trends in modern cooking.
- Tatau (Azara, s/n): Huesca city owes its place on the gourmet map to Tonino Valiente, the chef and owner of this restaurant. He earned a Michelin star in 2015 (at another location) and hasn’t stopped impressing the city’s most refined palates ever since.